10 FREE or cheap activities to do with your family or spouse, TODAY.
1. Go to church. Dress up and be together. If you have young ones, some churches have a children’s mass where they go and do a bible activity.
2. Go to the library. My local library rocks. They have free activities almost every day of the week. They also offer free seminars on many topics. Some libraries have a crafting hour. With the books you check out you can have something to do when you get home too. It is also a great way to get younger kids interacting with other children.
3. Go to the beach after hours. New Jersey is one of the states that charge admission to get on most beaches. I will not comment on how I feel about this, but let’s just say I most often go to the free beaches J . At a certain time, some beaches stop taking admission payments and you a free to walk around and enjoy what God has created for us. In the midst of July & August when the temperature is through the roof it may be more enjoyable to go at a later time when the temperature has slightly cooled. There may not be any lifeguards on duty at this time. In my area there are weekly or monthly beach concerts at this time.
4. Have a picnic. I know it’s been done, but you have to feed your kids anyway you might as well do it outside on a blanket or sheet because they enjoy it so much more!
5. Volunteer. This may be a good activity to do with just you and your spouse or you and your child. You could call the township you live in to get an idea of any upcoming events they may need a hand in or the church is almost always looking for volunteers. This will give you children something great to talk about when they get back into school. It’s also very rewarding especially around the holidays.
6. Game night. This is one of my favorites. My kids are very young 6 & under so I was not exactly sure how this would play out but I have to say our first game night was a success. I will post on how to successfully run a game night soon but for now, Pictionary, charades and freeze dance are all good (and free) starts.
7. Bake from scratch. Chances are you have flour, sugar and eggs in the home at any given time. Look up some different recipes for cakes or cookies and bake with your kids. They will love getting to measure out the different ingredients.
8. Too hot to bake? Do Ice cream sundae night. This could be free if you have ice cream at home. I make a big deal out of finishing our vegetables at dinner because we are going to play ice cream shop or DIY sundaes afterwards. Put different toppings in various bowls and let the kids create their own. Crush up cookies, put out strawberries whatever you have, even warming some peanut butter up to drizzle over them. Ok that last one is my favorite.
9. Make a craft. Pull out all your crafting supplies or hit up the dollar store for some more. If you have Popsicle sticks you can make construction paper faces and glue them on here and have a little puppet show. Get creative, kids just love making things it doesn’t have to be perfect.
10. This last one isn’t free but if you call around you may be able to find coupons and a family night discount. Bowling- until recently I have never been bowling, maybe once in my life and never really enjoyed it or the thought of it. My daughter was invited to a bowling birthday party and I realized how much fun it was. Even my 2 year old bowled with us last time. The normal rate is about $15 a person. Sunday nights after 6pm it reduces to $8 a person.