If I could do it all over again here are the things I would still buy. If this is your first baby and you plan on having more, buy gender neutral colored items. Your baby will have their little pink or blue blanket and clothes to make things their own anyway. Some of these items will last years up to 3 or 4 babies!
No mother will dispute how necessary this is!
2. Nasal Aspirator
Nothing is more frustrating that not being able to help your baby feel better when they are stuffy or runny. I use it with Little noses saline.
Get an aspirator that you can clean out to avoid mold build up.
This is a must for breastfeeding mothers. As a nursing mom, you will quickly realize that your milk is liquid gold. Wasting any milk to the inside of your shirt is just tragic and can be avoided. Pick these up to help collect the extra let-down milk!
4. Rock and Sleeper or Bouncy Chair
This is better than having a bassinet, my kids never wanted to stay in the bassinet, it just didn't do anything for them. I love the bouncy chair because its light weight and easy to move from room to room for naps or bedtime.
5. Portable pump I pretty much have never made a post where I haven't suggested this, I should be the spokes person for this pump. I loved it so much because it give breastfeeding mothers some freedom which other wise could not be obtained. Mine lasted for 8 years and would have still been going just buy replacment tubing for each baby worth every penny.
6. Play Pen It's great to have a secondary, safe place to lay the baby or to take with you when you are going to a relatives or on vacation.
7. Baby Soap This you will want from pretty much day one, even when you can't fully bathe the baby yet, you may want to wipe the baby down especially around the neck area from milk residue. Aveeno is great when the baby is young, it is very light.
8. Humidifier You will need this at some point when your child is young. Nothing is worse than a stuffy baby who doesn't know how to blow their nose, thus the nasal aspirator on this list. Purchase a humidifer for their room. I recommend one with no inserts and the least amout of parts clean this will increase your chances of using it instead of storing it.
9. Teehter My kids were teething as early as 3 months, its good to have these on hand, cleaned and in the freezer ( if necessary ) ready to go!
10. Diaper Bag This you will need from day one, the baby goes to the pediatrician within the first couple of days, you will probably want to pack a change of clothes, extra diapers, wipes or cloth (whatever you are using to wipe) , a pacifier or 2, receiving blankent to cover the baby when they ask you to dress him or her down to nothing, bottle if you are bottle feeding, wash cloth for spit up, insurance card, ID, and co-pay if applicable, a hat, list of questions, and immunization chart record, baby growth tracker. Do this the night before, your baby is unpredictable and on their own schedule. I never used a backpack one but I baby sat my friends baby recently and it was nice to have both hands free!
I am frequently updating the list of must have baby items! These are just some I couldn't live without! What are your must haves?
Planning on Breastfeeding? Download your copy of my Ebook.
Hi There! I'm Jamie. Mother of 4 Beautiful Babies I love to help Pregnant Women & New Moms.
This page contains affiliate links. Which means if you end up purchasing something I may receive a commission. Thank You for your support in this way!